Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
The Economic Stability (ES) section of DCFS assists families with needed assistance programs, including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - formerly Food Stamps), Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP), and the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP).
|Family Independence Temporary Assistance (FITAP)|
|Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - formerly Food Stamp Program)
|Kinship Care Subsidy (KCSP)
Two Ways to Apply
- Apply online on the Louisiana CAFÉ Customer Portal
- Download and complete a print application.
- Fax, mail or deliver a completed application.
- Fax Number:
- Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 260031
Baton Rouge, LA 70826
- Find the nearest ES office
- Fax Number:
You may also contact DCFS at 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578) for information on all programs and how to apply.
What happens after I apply?
- You will be assigned a worker who will interview you if you are applying for FITAP, SNAP or KCSP and give you a list of verification items needed.
- Your worker will determine your eligibility.
- A letter will be mailed to you that will tell you if you are eligible or not. If eligible, this letter will tell you the amount of your benefits, which will be paid back to the date of your application.
- If you applied for FITAP, you may be required to participate in the Strategies to Empower People (STEP) program, which provides opportunities for work-eligible FITAP families to recieve job training, employment and supportive services.
How are Benefits Distributed?
- Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) - the electronic method of delivering Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP), Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP) and SNAP benefits to recipients.
Your Rights Regarding SNAP
Three Ways to Report Fraud